Sun Salutation A
- Start in Mountain Pose at the top of your mat. Inhale and sweep your arms up over your head, watching your palms meet.
- Exhale and, leading with your chest and hinging from your hips, swan dive forward over your legs. Inhale to lift up halfway, finding an elongated spine.
- Exhale, plant your hands and find a low push-up or plank position (Chaturanga Dandasana), being sure to land with your elbows bent.
- Inhale and roll over your toes as you straighten your arms and draw your chest forward through your biceps to open your heart into Up Dog.
- Exhale, lift your hips, roll over your toes once again, to press back and up into Down Dog. Steps 3 through 5 make up one "Vinyasa" (Chaturanga, Up Dog, Down Dog).
- Inhale, look forward between your hands and, keeping your hips held high, lightly float your feet forward to the top of your mat. Exhale to forward fold over your legs.
- Inhale and, leading with your chest while maintaining an elongated spine, sweep your arms out and up over your head as you reverse your swan dive all the way up to stand. As you exhale, release your arms down by your side returning to Mountain Pose.
Repeat Sun Salutation A five times in succession, moving with speed and maintaining a steady beat with your breath. Them immediately move on to Sun Salutation B on the next page.
© prevention.comFirst published: 18 Jul 2017