Serves: 4 Hands-on time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 x 40g slices wholemeal sourdough, processed to coarse crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts, finely chopped finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 600g chicken tenderloins
- 900g tomatoes, cut into wedges, or cherry tomatoes olive oil cooking spray
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Mixed salad leaves and lemon wedges, to serve
Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons light margarine
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Combine the spring onion, breadcrumbs, garlic, walnuts, lemon zest and juice in a bowl. Press lightly and evenly onto the chicken strips and season with freshly ground black pepper.
2. Spread the tomatoes over the base of a roasting tin and top with the chicken strips. Lightly spray all over with oil and roast for 25–30 minutes or until cooked and golden.
3. Meanwhile, to make the mushroom sauce, melt the margarine in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until golden and starting to soften.
4. Reduce the heat to medium-low, pour in the stock and simmer gently for 12–15 minutes or until reduced by three-quarters.
5. Remove the pan from the heat, stir through the mustard and parsley, and season with freshly ground black pepper.
6. Divide the rice, chicken and tomatoes among plates and spoon the mushroom sauce alongside. Serve with mixed salad leaves and lemon wedges.
NUTRITION (per serve)
2421kJ/579cal, Protein 46.9g, Carbs 56.5g, Sat fat 2.8g, Fibre 9.9g, Sodium 472mg
Roast Crumbed Chicken with Mushroom Sauce recipe extracted from The CSIRO Women’s Health & Nutrition Guide by Dr Jane Bowen, Associate Professor Bev Muhlhausler & Gemma Williams (Macmillan Australia, $39.99). Photography by Rob Palmer.