- 2 pork steaks
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pomegranate
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 baby gem lettuce, quartered
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar 50g feta cheese, crumbled
1. Season the pork steaks with salt, pepper and cumin spice, rubbing it all over and pressing it well into the meat. Bring them up to room temperature and set aside.
2. Place the pomegranate on its side and slice in half. Holding it seed-side down over a bowl, whack the skin with a metal spoon and the seeds should fall into the bowl. Remove any pith that ends up in the bowl. Drain off the juice and set aside in a separate bowl.
3. Heat a griddle pan over medium heat (if you don’t have one, a regular non-stick pan will be fine). Drizzle a little olive oil into the pan and fry the pork steaks for 6 minutes on one side and then turn over and fry for another 2 minutes. Remove from pan and leave to rest for 2 minutes. 4. Tip out the oil from the pan and give it a quick wipe and then add a little fresh olive oil. Char the baby gem lettuce quarters in the pan and season. Once they start to get a little colour, drizzle a tablespoon of honey over the top and then remove from the heat.
5. Drizzle some olive oil into a large dish and then add a couple of tablespoons of the fresh pomegranate juice, the rest of the honey and the apple cider vinegar. Add the lettuce and toss through the dressing. Slice the pork steaks and lay on top of the lettuce. Top with pomegranate seeds and the crumbled feta.
Recipe credit: Crush Calories in 20 Minutes – by Richard Kerrigan, New Holland Publishers RRP $40.00 available from all good book retailers or online at www.newhollandpublishers.com.au.