SERVES 4 HANDS-ON TIME 20 MINUTES COOK TIME 1 HOUR
- 1.2kg bone-in chicken pieces (thighs, breast or drumsticks), skin removed
- 3 tablespoons oregano leaves, finely chopped finely grated zest and juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 600g potato, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks 2 onions, thickly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, skin on
- 300g green beans, trimmed
- 2 zucchini, sliced into 2cm-thick rounds 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 80g reduced-fat feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup oregano leaves
- 2 cups flat-leaf parsley leaves juice of 1 lemon
- 10 green olives, pitted
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Place the chicken in a large bowl, sprinkle over the oregano, lemon zest and juice and season with a good grinding of black pepper. Toss to coat well.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat, add the chicken and sear for 3 minutes each side until golden brown.
- Divide the chicken, potato and onion between two large baking trays and spread out in a single layer. Drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil over each tray and scatter the garlic cloves over the top. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place green beans and zucchini in a large bowl and toss with the remaining olive oil.
- Remove the trays from the oven, and remove the garlic cloves and set aside. Scatter over the zucchini and green beans, then bake for another 20 minutes or until the greens are wilted and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make the oregano sauce, squeeze the flesh from the garlic cloves into a food processor. Add the sauce ingredients and pulse to a chunky paste.
- Divide the baked chicken and vegetables among four plates. Serve with the tomato, feta, almonds and oregano sauce.
NUTRITION (per serve) 2547kJ/609cal. Protein 59.8g. Carbs 33.5g. Sat fat 5.1g. Fibre 12.5g. Sugars 13.6g. Sodium 484mg
Curried Chicken With Golden Crispy Rice recipe extracted from The CSIRO Gut Care Guide by Michael Conlon, Pennie Taylor, Dr Cuong D Tran and Megan Rebuli.