According to The Good Mood Food report released by Hort Innovation, a healthy, varied diet high in fruits, vegetables, and nuts can brighten your mood – including nutrient-dense avocados, providing vitamins that support brain function and psychological wellbeing. Adding avocados to your diet can help beat feeling drained, support energy levels, and assist with good gut health.
Avocados contain B vitamins, fibre, pantothenic acid, folate and niacin which are needed for mental performance, immune support and reducing fatigue.
Enjoy a cosy night in with this tasty homemade avocado pizza!
- 1 cup quick polenta
- 500 ml good quality chicken stock
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of fresh cracked paper
- ½ cup passata sauce
- 200 g fior di latte cheese, sliced
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 150 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium Hass avocados
- 1 small handful of basil leaves
- 1 handful rocket
- 2 tbsp good quality pesto, store-bought
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
2. Line a round pizza or baking tray with greaseproof paper.
3. Place a heavy base medium saucepan on medium heat, add the chicken stock and allow it to come up to a simmer. Add the quick polenta and stir through. Keep stirring while it thickens to prevent lumps from forming.
4. Stir through the dried oregano and the fresh cracked pepper.
5. Once the polenta has turned very thick and changed to a creamy consistency (after 3-5 minutes) remove it from the heat and add the grated Parmesan cheese, stir through until it’s melted.
6. Using a spatula scrape out the polenta from the saucepan and into the pre-prepared tray. Spread it out into a rough circle, est 1cm thick. If the polenta is sticking to your spatula, coat it with a little olive oil to prevent it from sticking.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 25 mins.
8. Once the pizza base is lightly crispy, spoon over the passata sauce followed by adding the thinly sliced fiordi latte cheese and the cherry tomatoes. Place back in the oven for a further 12 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
9. Remove the pizza from the oven, serve with the thinly sliced avocado and arranged it into fans over the top. Follow with the rocket, basil and a good dollop of pesto.
Note: The polenta pizza base can be made ahead of time.
© Prevention Australia
First published: 23 Jul 2021