Serves: 4 Hands-on time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 large eggplants, cut into 2cm pieces
- 600g lamb strips
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup salt-reduced soy sauce
- 8 drops sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Asian spice booster (see below)
- 2cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 4 roma tomatoes, cut into eighths lengthways
- 2 cups rocket leaves
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 4 cups cooked brown basmati rice
1. Heat a large, deep, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Combine the eggplant, lamb and paprika in a bowl and season with freshly ground black pepper. Toss well to combine and then spray lightly with oil.
2. Working in three batches, cook the lamb mixture for 4–5 minutes each or until just cooked and golden. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, Asian spice booster and ginger, and whisk well to combine.
4. Add this mixture and all the remaining ingredients to the large bowl and gently toss to combine.
5. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve.
ASIAN SPICE BOOSTER
When making this, use a lemon pepper blend that is made with plenty of dried mixed herbs and flavours, such as capsicum, parsley, onion and garlic, and has minimal salt added.
MAKES ABOUT 1⁄2 CUP PREPARATION 5 MINUTES
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt-reduced
- Lemon pepper (see above)
NUTRITION (per serve)
2622kJ/627cal, Protein 45g, Carbs 65.8g, Sat fat 4g, Fibre 13.7g, Sodium 764mg
Roast Crumbed Chicken with Mushroom Sauce recipe extracted from The CSIRO Women’s Health & Nutrition Guide by Dr Jane Bowen, Associate Professor Bev Muhlhausler & Gemma Williams (Macmillan Australia, $39.99). Photography by Rob Palmer.