We all know Aussies love a banana in a smoothie, for a snack or even on a sandwich - we consume over 5 million every day - so it should come as no surprise that there is now National Banana Day.
To celebrate the delicious fruit and to mark the occassion on May 1, here are some quirky facts about bananas that will surprise you:
1. At over 10,000 years old, bananas are the world's oldest fruit - that's about five times older than the Colosseum in Italy, or the Parthenon in Greece.
2. There are more than 500 varieties of bananas, most commonly grown in Australia are Cavendish and Lady Fingers.
3. Bananas are composed of 75% water - that's even more than the human body which is 60% water.
4. Best fruit source of vitamin B6 that assists the formation of red clood cells and certain brain chemicals.
5. Bananas are always bent due to a phenomenon known as geotropism - once developed, instead of growing towards the ground, bananas turn towards the sun.