People who boost their magnesium intake to 368mg per day – just above the RDI for adult women – for three months can lower their blood pressure by several points without making other changes, according to the medical journal Hypertension. Magnesium relaxes blood vessels, which increases blood flow and decreases blood pressure.
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, one in three Australian adults don’t get enough magnesium. Foods are the best source of the mineral, especially the foods below.
1. PUMPKIN SEED KERNELS PER 30 GRAM SERVE: 168MG
2. DARK CHOCOLATE PER 30 GRAM SERVE: 43MG
3. ALMONDS PER 30 GRAM SERVE: 77MG
4. SALMON PER 100 GRAM SERVE: 104MG
5. 1 CUP COOKED SPINACH: 157MG
6. 1 CUP PLAIN YOGHURT: 42MG
7. 1 AVOCADO: 58MG
8. 1 CUP COOKED BROWN RICE: 86MG
9. 1 CUP WHITE BEANS:113MG
10. 1 MEDIUM BANANA: 32MG