Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- Zest of a whole lemon (about a teaspoon)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs whites and yolks separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 1/4 cup of poppy seeds
- ¼ cup cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F).
1. In a large bowl, combine the maple syrup, zest, egg yolks and vanilla, and fold in almond flour and baking powder and beat until smooth. Stir in the poppy seeds.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a mixer until stiff. Half way through add the salt. Fold egg whites into the batter, then place in square baking pan and bake until lightly golden and cooked inside.
3. Cool completely before topping lemon juice, then drizzle over the icing.
4. To prepare the glaze, stir together the cashew butter, honey and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth, then top your slice. Allow to set before slicing into 8 bars.
Recipe by Fay James - Nutritionist.