- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely sliced
- 8 button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 bunch fresh basil, stalks finely chopped 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (as spicy as you like)
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 500ml chicken stock (reduced salt) 250g packet vermicelli rice noodles sesame oil to drizzle
pinch of chilli flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat a large non-stick pan over a medium heat with a good drizzle of olive oil. Fry the onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms and basil stalks (finely chopped) until soft, saving the leaves for later. Add the Thai curry paste to the pan and stir on the heat for a minute or two. Add the fish sauce, lime zest, capsicum and coconut milk then reduce the heat.
2. In a separate pan, bring the chicken stock to the boil then add to the vegetables. Bring the soup back to the boil then turn the heat down to a simmer. Put the noodles in a large bowl or dish and cover with lukewarm water for 3–4 minutes to soften, then drain.
3. Right before removing the pan from the heat, add the noodles and basil leaves and mix well. Serve each portion with a drizzle of sesame oil and a pinch of chilli flakes
TIP: Be prepared for the flavour to intensify overnight, so make a large batch and get stuck in.
Recipe credit: Crush Calories in 20 Minutes – by Richard Kerrigan, New Holland Publishers RRP $40.00 available from all good book retailers or online at www.newhollandpublishers.com.au.